Among the largest churches in Milan we find that of San Marco which was built in Gothic style starting from 1254 and which, despite subsequent tampering, still retains much of the original structure and decorations. Among these we remember the statues of the facade and some internal ones attributed to Giovanni di Balduccio, great sculptor of the 14th century who also worked in the Basilica of Sant’Eustorgio, the 13th century bell tower in Lombard style, some frescoes of the 14th century of the Giotto school and valuable sarcophagi and sculptures Gothic that mark the fundamental stages of the city’s sculptural evolution.
The suppression in the 15th century of the adjacent cemetery to make room for the “Tombone di San Marco” into which the Naviglio della Martesana merged, was only the first of the following interventions that partially modified the medieval structure. The interiors, in fact, maintain a wide memory of the interventions that took place in the 16th and 17th centuries, centuries of which date back most of the decorations of the chapels and the presbytery. The reconstruction of the cloister also dates back to the 17th century, where today the tombstones of the aristocratic Archinto family are exhibited.
Despite numerous modifications, the Church of San Marco remains one of the largest, the oldest and most striking basilicas in the city of Milan and is often exalted and enlivened by the concerts held there, promoted by the church’s famous Chapel of Music .
- Offer to the church
- Guided tour of 1 hour 45 minutes conducted by a guide with regular professional licence.
- Microphone system *
* NOTE: The miking system is guaranteed to reach the 15 participants.
What’s not included
- Transportation to reach the meeting point
- Food and drink unless otherwise specified
- Tips (optional)
- Personal extras
DepartureChiesa di S. Marco - Milano
Meeting 15 minutes before the start of the guided tour in front of the Church of San Marco (S. Marco Square, 2)